Roles and Goals

I was reading a blog yesterday about how to prioritize your day. The author said that you start off by listing your priorities, of course. Then you want to determine your goals for each of your roles in life. This step really got me thinking. 

First of all, what are my roles? I am a wife. I am a dog mom (yes, this totally counts as a role). I am a housekeeper, for lack of a better word. I am a writer and I am a Wiccan.

Is this all? Why do I feel like I do so much more? When I write it out, it seems kind of bland. To compartmentalize my life makes it sound so dull. Why am I not doing more with my life? What can I do? How can I change my life to make it sound more important? 

But wait, my life is important. My husband tells me that he couldn’t live without me, so there’s that. If I wasn’t around, how would he be able to function? I mean, what kind of horrible bachelor life would that be like without me there to tell him to put the dishes in the dishwasher and to not put his shoes right where I can trip on them?  

My dog definitely needs me here. Right now, she is sitting directly under my feet because it’s storming outside. If I wasn’t here, the carpet downstairs would be torn up all the way to the kitchen by now. 

As a Wiccan, I am important to my sisters in my circles. We all need each other for moral support and for learning different ways we can view life. They all provide me with lessons on how to practice my spirituality. I am there for them when they need someone to vent to (I am an exceptional listener). I may not be able to give any advice but just being a witness for them can be enough. 

I am also necessary because I help to take care of Mother Earth when I can. Just the other day I walked down my neighborhood street and filled up a bag of trash that I picked up from the side of the road. Mother Earth responded with lots of sweet kisses from a bunch of little ants all over my foot. It was awesome. 

As a writer, I don’t really know how my role is significant, yet. I just started in this realm, after all. I, of course, hope that one day my words inspire someone or help them in some way. I have read about authors receiving feedback from their readers, even for fiction novels, that said they enjoyed their books and needed them in their lives right at that moment. How incredible it would be to hear those words one day. 

So, I suppose I am here for the sake of others. That’s something. 

Onward to making goals for each personification. 

I won’t list my objectives for the housekeeper because that’s boring. You know, the usual, to make sure the house isn’t a total embarrassment if someone all of a sudden decides to pop on by.  

My target for the aspect of writer is to have my first draft of my novel completed in six months. It would also be great if I could sell a bunch of those novels and be a best-selling author. I know this is a big dream but don’t put me down. Anything is possible.

My desires as a Wiccan are to practice my devotion on a regular basis and to celebrate each Sabbat (holidays based around equinoxes and solstices) and Esbat (full moons). The things I can do to practice include yoga, meditation and connecting with the divine. I feel like myself the most when I am practicing my spiritual path. It is a very significant part of me. 

I just now realized that I didn’t write down any intentions for my roles as a dog mom and a wife. I guess it’s because I’m already amazing at those. 

Seriously, though, I would like to be more patient with my husband. After all, he has supported me and given me the opportunity to pursue my dreams. He is being such a trooper about it too. He comes home at night all tired from working and still wants to know what I did that day. Or at least, he pretends he wants to know. I mean, who really wants to hear about how the dog’s poop looked and how I had to do the grossest chore ever (cleaning the toilet)?  

So now that I have everything all prioritized and my goals are listed, now I just have to make sure that all of my tasks line up with my goals. If they don’t, I need to trash them. 

Ok, I promise to start doing this, right after I watch this last episode of Castle Rock. 

(Credit to Gillian Perkins for this procedure of prioritizing your day.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm That Creep

Dreaming of Escape

Prompted