Prompted 2

A cacophony of traffic noises suddenly filled the air and I jerked awake. The touch of the woman's hand on my arm lingered. It was only a dream. A few seconds passed before I could remember where I was. I had recognized her. She was the woman that had been haunting my dreams for the past few months. Always smiling that sinister smirk, she would eerily float towards me, her hair moving on a faint breeze that I could not feel on my skin. Her lips moved, trying to give me a message that I knew I needed to hear. I was afraid of her but was drawn to her in desperation. I felt like I was meeting her for a purpose. She needed my help but I didn't know what I could possibly do for her. Tonight was the first time she was close enough to touch me. Her skin was wet and clammy, like she had been under water for centuries. It sent a chill that ran through my veins. It traveled up my arm until it reached my heart and startled me awake.

I grabbed the blankets around me to try to rid myself of her cold hand, wiping the tears that were streaming down my arms. "Who are you?" I asked out loud. The dreams began when I had returned from my trip to Yorkshire. My great-grandmother had passed away. Her funeral was held at her beautiful estate, which was rumored to be haunted. I have never paid any attention to the stories. Tales were told that a woman could be seen roaming the halls in search of her long-lost love. I had heard of things like this happening all over the world but thought them all to be hoaxes. I saw them as all tourist attractions to bring people in to try to catch a glimpse of a spirit. I had never actually had any sort of other worldly experience that would make me believe in such a thing.

I had called my mother after the first week of having the nightmares. She is an avid believer in the supernatural. She thought that I had brought back a spirit from Yorkshire with me. She claimed that someone had attached herself to me before I left. In hindsight, she was probably not the best person to call.

Once my heart stopped pounding and my skin stopped crawling, I decided it was time to get out of bed. I had a few clients to meet today and the work wasn't going to take care of itself. I had to start busying myself to get the images out of my head. I would have to leave the mystery of the woman for another day. It was time for some coffee.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm That Creep

Dreaming of Escape

Prompted