What Halloween Means to a Witch

Samhain. The Witch’s New Year. Halloween. 
I am a Wiccan and I celebrate Halloween, in some ways, a little differently.  
The traditional activities of dressing up, trick-or-treating, costume parties, and haunted houses are still celebrated. In fact, I went to a haunted house that was set up in the town library just the other night. I read an article in our local newspaper that said that grown ups are usually surprised as to how scared they actually were when they came out because they assumed it would be geared more towards children. They warned that you needed to know exactly what your child could handle. I went to a haunted house when I was younger at Six Flags that scared me a little more than this one did. However, this one had a carnival room which was, of course, filled with clowns. I mainly stared at the floor, letting my husband guide me through. The one thing that did scare me a lot was a girl coming out of a well with long black hair (like the girl from the Ring movies). That was incredibly creepy.  
After the usual festivities, it is time to celebrate the Witch’s New Year. It is similar to the traditional New Year whereas you reflect on the past year and set intentions (or resolutions) for the upcoming year. I might do a spell to enhance my intention by propelling it forward. It gives the resolution a little more staying power. I know I have been guilty of letting go of my New Year’s resolutions after a couple of months into the new year. Performing a spell over the intention seems to form a connection between the resolution and myself. It helps me to actually believe in it and believe that I have the power to carry it through.   
It is believed that Samhain is a time when the veil between the living and the dead is the thinnest. That is why I like to hold a dumb supper. This is where I make my feast as usual and set the table for my family. I also set a place or two for any of my family members that have passed away during the last year. If no one has passed, I just set a place for my ancestors in general. I make them a plate of food and a drink and place it in front of where they would be seated. During the meal, no one (living) speaks a word (that’s why it’s called a dumb supper). You quietly eat your meal and reflect upon your ancestors. You listen for any messages that they could be sending to you on this night. It is a wonderful way to reconnect with them. After the meal is finished, you take their food and put it outside where mother nature can consume it. 
The meal that I would prepare is what you would normally expect to eat during a time of harvest. Perfect items would be shortbread cookies, butternut squash casserole, or apple strudel.  
Samhain is traditionally a time of year when you honor your ancestors. Another way to honor them, besides the dumb supper, is to make a shrine for them. Dedicate your altar space to pictures of your ancestors or maybe some heirlooms that have been passed down through your family. If you live near where your late family members are buried, you can also make a grave rubbing and hang it above your altar. You make a grave rubbing by taking a piece of thin paper and holding it across the tombstone. Then you take a piece of charcoal or other tool and rub it across the paper to make a tracing of the words. You could then place this in a frame. There are more in-depth instructions on how to do this on thought.co (https://www.thoughtco.com/samhain-craft-projects-4142781).  
In short, Halloween isn’t just dressing up and eating a bunch of candy for me (although I do still love that part). It’s about honoring those that have gone before me. It’s a time for me to ponder on what I can do to improve myself or my life and to appreciate the many blessings I already have. The Witch’s New Year is a special time of reflection.  
To all my fellow witches out there: Happy New Year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to Basics

Dreaming of Escape

I'm That Creep